Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thoughts on Conversations


*
A little over a week ago I sat in Dupont Circle in DC with a friend and sign.
The sign said "We will talk with anyone about anything." A simple statement to the world
about our intentions on that park bench.

It was an incredible experience. One that I feel everyone should try at least once.
It started off slowly, but after an hour or so we talked non-stop until 8:30 that night.
Some people we talked to for hours and others only a few minutes.
We had conversations with people from Barcelona, students from Georgetown
and visitors from across the park.

And the thing that surprised me the most was that everyone was interesting.
That statement sounds really cynical, but I don't mean it that way.
I'm not the best conversation starter and thusly have short, semi-boring conversations with new people.
I always felt it was because we (me and the other person) were boring.
How can I have nothing to talk about with a brand new person?
But last Wednesday convinced that no one is truly boring, me included.
It just requires a bit of inventiveness and a topic.

I had a lot of fun. So if you're bored one weekend, head out to a city and talk to some strangers.
Bring sunscreen and camera. I managed to forget both that day.

* My friend (in the blue) and I, taken by our new friend Sergio. Look at all our pretty garbage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment